OPEIR conducts a variety of in-depth research projects, often motivated by requests from units across campus or from UTC leadership. The focus of these projects is typically to better understand UTC's students and to examine how the institution's programs and policies affect students and their academic outcomes. OPEIR Insights is a repository of analyses, reports, and white papers completed by OPEIR staff that we feel have broad applicability across the institution and are of general interest to both the campus community and associated external constituents.
Recently Completed Projects
- Online Course-Taking Behavior: A look at which UTC students are taking online courses, which courses are commonly taken, and how outcomes compare.
- Academic Common Market Demographics and Outcomes: An analysis of students enrolled in UTC programs via the Academic Common Market (ACM).
- ACT Residual Math Exam: An Analysis of Testers and Results: A breakdown of ACT Residual Math Exam results and a look at who is taking the exam and for what purposes.
- Where Admitted Students of Color Enroll in College: When students of color are admitted to UTC but elect to go elsewhere, which colleges to they attend?
- Student Summer Course-Taking Patterns: An analysis of overall Summer enrollment patterns, characteristics of students enrolling in Summer, and courses commonly taken in Summer.
- Links between Grades and Retention in First Year Experience Courses: An exploration of the link between student grades in First Year Experience (FYE) courses and their persistence at UTC.
- An Initial Analysis of High-Impact Practices Survey: Analysis of students participating in different types of High-Impact Practices (HIPs), including assessment of the impact and outcome of student experiences.
- First Year Experience Student Outcomes: Characteristics of students enrolled in First Year Experience (FYE) courses, including their one-year academic performance and persistence at UTC.
- Significant Learning Experiences at UTC: An analysis of National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) qualitative responses (also see associated infographic).
- Student Outcomes Based on Performance in English and Math Gateway Courses: An analysis of the effect of D, F, and W English and Math course grades on the long-term outcomes of incoming freshmen at UTC.
- Summer Bridge Program Participants: A profile of 2014-2017 participants in UTC's Summer Bridge Program, including analysis of first-year academic outcomes.
- Second Year Student Characteristics and Outcomes: A profile of UTC Sophomores with analysis of pregression and retention patterns.