MPA courses and optional concentrations
MPA students complete eight core courses and four elective courses. Students without previous management experience in a public agency or nonprofit organization also complete a 300-hour internship.
The eight core courses (and their modes of delivery) are:
- Public Administration Foundations (classroom)
- Organizational Theory and Administrative Behavior (hybrid)
- Public Administration Research and Analysis (classroom)
- Program Planning and Evaluation (hybrid)
- Budgeting and Finance in Public Agencies (classroom)
- Human Resources Management in Public Agencies (hybrid)
- Public Policy (classroom)
- Applications in Public Administration, our capstone course (hybrid)
Students choose how to make the most of their four elective courses from three options. Students may use the elective courses toward one of two optional concentrations:
(1) Local Government Management concentration
(2) Nonprofit Management concentration
Or, (3) students pursuing the generalist MPA degree select elective courses to meet their professional development goals in consultation with the MPA program coordinator. In addition to the MPA courses, these elective courses may include options from other UTC graduate programs with permission of their program coordinators.
Descriptions of MPA courses are available in the graduate catalog. Please note that the website may include minor changes to the curriculum that are not yet reflected in the catalog.