Dr. Leroy Martin
President of the University of Chattanooga, 1959-1966
A 1924 graduate of the University of Chattanooga, Dr. Martin would be the last Methodist minister to serve as head of the university. He was born in Morristown, Tennessee in 1901. He received theology degrees from Boston University and Drew University, in Madison, New Jersey, where he served as University Pastor for eight years. In 1950, he became President of Tennessee Wesleyan College in Athens, Tennessee. He became the President of the University of Chattanooga in 1959 and guided it for seven years, moving the university ahead with the integration of African-American students in the early 1960s. After stepping down as President, Dr. Martin remained on the staff as the John H. Race Professor of Classics, until his death in 1971. Today, the university has a chair named in his honor: The LeRoy A. Martin Distinguished Professorship of Religious Studies.