Registration for the upcoming semester is approaching soon.
Now is the time to meet with your academic advisor to prepare for class registration. Advising Holds are applied to your account each fall and spring semester after the last day to withdraw from a class and can only be removed by your advisor once you have been advised for course registration for the upcoming semester. Follow the steps below to be on your way to registration!
1. Make contact with your advisor.
- Unsure of who your advisor is? Check your MyMocsnet account on the academics tab or visit the Who is my advisor? page. If you do not have an advisor assigned, contact your major department directly to find out who your advisor is. If you still need assistance and are not sure where to start, send us an email at [email protected].
- All departments handle advising appointment scheduling differently. Some departments have open walk-in hours while others require scheduling an appointment in advance. Contact your advisor first (either via email or the phone) to find out how to schedule a meeting. If you cannot get a hold of your advisor, contact your academic department.
2. Be prepared for your advising meeting.
- Review the undergraduate catalog, your MyMocsDegree, and the Clear Paths for Advising to get an idea of what classes you should take.
- Create a list of preferred course options and alternate classes in case your top choices are full.
- Write down any questions you have for your advisor to discuss in the meeting.
- Check your unofficial transcript to ensure all of your credit is posted (i.e. AP/IB credit, dual enrollment classes, transfer credit, etc.).
3. Be engaged in your advising session.
- Discuss your progress in your current courses. Let your advisor know if you need help in a class and are not sure where to go.
- Write down the suggestions or information you get in your appointment.
- Put your alternate pin in your cell phone as a contact or in a safe place where you can keep up with it for several months.
- Ask your advisor the best way to get in touch if you have follow-up questions later.
4. Follow through on your educational plan.
- Register for the courses you discussed with your advisor. If you have to make a change and are not sure if you are still on track, let your advisor know! You can find registration instructions along with other registration information for how to register on the webpage for the Office of the University Registrar.
- Check your email daily.
- Stay aware of important dates on the academic calendar for deadlines such as fee payment and registration changes to ensure you are ready to go for the next semester!