Effective January 2016, applicants for the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam will no longer apply to the Tennessee Board for authorization to sit for the FE exam. Applicants may apply directly with NCEES and then apply to the Tennessee Board for Engineer Intern certification after passing the exam.
You may fill out the application for certification online. The application must then be printed because it must be signed by the applicant and the Dean or his/her designee.
There are two steps in the Engineer Intern certification process:
STEP 1-Register for the FE Examination with NCEES
You may register for the FE exam at www.ncees.org. Exam fees are paid to NCEES when registering on the NCEES website. Information regarding exam scheduling, exam materials and calculators, and exam results is available on the NCEES website:
Do not register unless you meet one of the following requirements:
- Senior standing in a 4-year (minimum) undergraduate engineering curriculum that has been accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (EAC/ABET).
- Graduate of a curriculum of four (4) years or more that has been accredited by the EAC/ABET leading to a baccalaureate degree in engineering.
- Degrees for non-accredited engineering programs must be evaluated as described below (see “Applicants with Non-Accredited Foreign Degrees” and “Applicants with Non-Accredited Domestic Degrees”).
- An engineering technology program, whether four (4) or two (2) years in length, is not considered by the Board to be an acceptable curriculum.
When registering for the exam, you will be prompted to pay the fee of $225, and the available dates for the test will be revealed. Only the student can see the available test dates when they register. Exams are administered every month of the year.
- The closest Testing Center to UTC is:
Pearson Professional Centers-Chattanooga TN
5726 Marlin Rd, Suite 310, Franklin Building, Chattanooga TN, 37411
STEP 2 – Apply to the Tennessee Board for Engineer Intern certification after passing the FE examination.
Complete application on the TN State Board site and submit to your major department for the Associate Dean’s signature. Once your application is signed you will be notified by email to pick it up. At that point, you mail the Application For Senior Engineering Students or For Individuals With Degrees and the $15 application fee to the address on the application.
APPLICATION FOR SENIORS
APPLICATION FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH DEGREES
NOTE: Only the Dean and Associate Dean may sign the FE application
- Seniors are encouraged to take the FE exam in either April or October, depending on your graduation semester.
- Review courses at the College of Engineering and Computer Science will be offered through the student’s major department. Review sessions will be announced to seniors by email and digital signage. Please see the major department’s Administrative Assistant for assistance.
See the following for more information and procedures: