- General description of membership: The Exempt Staff Council will consist of one representative and one alternate elected from predetermined employee groupings based on organization, type of position or other criterion by which a community of interest can be established. Such representational units shall be established such that there will be at least one representative and one alternate per approximately 10% of the overall number of regular exempt staff members at UTC, with exceptions made by the ESC as needed. Representational units will be reviewed prior to each general election and adjusted as necessary by a committee of ESC members appointed by the ESC Chair.
- Eligibility: Any regular full‑time or part-time exempt staff member who has completed one year of continuous service with UTC on January 1 of the year of general election is eligible to vote in elections and to serve as a representative, with the exception of individuals with faculty rank and individuals reporting directly to the Chancellor.
- Alternate: The alternate will attend meetings in the absence of the representative and is welcome to attend meetings with the representative. However, only one vote will be allowed from each representational unit. The area representative will be the voting member, and the alternate will cast a vote in the representative’s absence. The alternate will assume the role of representative should the elected representative resign, transfer to a position outside the representational unit or become ineligible due to change in job status. When the alternate assumes the duties of the vacant representative, the Chair will appoint a new alternate for the remainder of the term; the new alternate would ordinarily be the individual on the original area ballot with the next highest number of votes.
- A representative who changes positions during a term may complete his/her term if the new position falls in the same employee representational unit for which he/she was elected. If the new position is outside of the original representational unit, the alternate will assume the vacancy, per Section B 3 of these by-laws.
- Representative-at-Large: A representative who transfers to an eligible exempt position outside his/her representational unit may continue to serve on the ESC as a Representative-at-large for the remainder of his/her term. A Representative-at-large may continue to serve the ESC in an officer capacity and may participate in all ESC activities as a voting member.
- Alternate-at-Large: An alternate who transfers to an eligible exempt position outside his/her representational unit may continue to serve on the ESC as an Alternate-at-Large for the remainder of his/her term. An Alternate-at-large may continue to serve on the ESC and may participate in all ESC activities.
- Exempt staff in the areas of Alumni, Development and Advancement will be represented in the Exempt Staff Council by a non-voting representative and alternate of the division. The alternate will attend meetings in the absence of the representative and is welcome to attend meetings with the representative.
- The Director of Human Resources, the immediate past chair (if not a current representative), and a member of the Executive Team appointed by the Chancellor will serve as ex‑officio non‑voting members of the Exempt Staff Council. The Director of Human Resources will be responsible for administrative support to the Exempt Staff Council, to include administration of elections, production of minutes, maintenance of records and other support functions as necessary for the efficient administration of the Council.
Members and Alternates from May 2020 to June 2022
Chair: Chris Sherbesman
Vice Chair: Laura Perryman
Group 1: Institutional Research; Office of the Provost; Center for Teaching & Learning; Center for Professional Education; Chancellor's Office
Representative: Donald Behneman
Alternate: Kim McCroskey
Group 2: Graduate School; Research & Sponsored Programs; Research Integrity; URaCE (Undergraduate Research); SimCenter; Radio Station; Communications & Marketing
Representative: Tracey Woodbury
Alternate: Alexa McClellan
Group 3: Advisement; Student Success; Records; Center for Career & Leadership Development; Student Support Services
Representative: Rebecca Dragoo
Alternate: Zachary Ridder
Group 4: Admissions; Strategic Enrollment Technology; Financial Aid & Scholarships; New Student & Family Programs; Mocs One Center
Representative: Tonia Martin
Alternate: Brenda Johnston
Group 5: Children's Center; Challenger Center; Center for Community Career Education; Educational Opportunity Center; GearUP; SE Center for Education in the Arts; Talent Search; Upward Bound; Health & Human Performance; Physical Therapy; School of Education; School of Professional Studies; School of Nursing
Representative: Jessica Pierce
Alternate: Keith Bridges
Group 6: College of Business; College of Engineering & Computer Science
Representative: Christine Estoye
Alternate: Sara Jackson
Group 7: Honors; Library; Biology, Geology & Environmental Sciences; Chemistry & Physics; Math; Education about Asia; Integrated Studies; Art; Communication; Fine Arts Center; Psychology; Social, Cultural & Justice Studies; Music; Dean-College of Arts & Sciences
Representative: Laura Perryman
Alternate: Terry Sanford
Group 8: Athletics
Representative: Beth Luehrs
Alternate: Michael Royster
Group 9: Accounting Services; Arena; Auxillary Services; Bursar; Budget & Finance; Campus Law; Equity & Inclusion; Facilities Planning & Management; Human Resources; Mocs Card; Procurement & Contracts; Public Safety; Safety & Risk Management
Representative: Chris Sherbesman
Alternate: Michael Wells
Group 10: Information Technology; Banner; Network Services; Library IT; Telecommunications
Representative: Susan Lazenby
Alternate: Robert Keatley
Group 11: Dean of Students; Disability Resource Center; Center for Women & Gender Equity; International Education; Multicultural Affairs; Center for Global Education
Representative: Jamie McClean
Alternate: Jamie Booth
Group 12: Counseling Center; Campus Recreation; Housing & Residence Life; Club Sports; ARC; Student Health Services; University Center
Representative: Kristin Nalley
Alternate: Yasmine Key