UTC Teacher Education Program
Background Check Procedures and Policies for Students
The State of Tennessee and the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Teacher Education Program requires you to undergo a Tennessee/TBI fingerprint-based background check. Please follow the steps below:
- Prior to being fingerprinted, complete and sign a Fingerprint Release Form and email (from your UTC Email) to [email protected]. Make sure that the form is complete and signed before sending. If you cannot use the digital signature feature, then you will need to print out, sign and send the scanned document as an attachment. If the image is unclear, it will be denied, so please make sure the scanned imaged is clear and keep your original until you are cleared.
- Read thoroughly and follow the instructions on this form.
Professional Liability Insurance
To apply for Professional Student Liability Insurance:
There are three acceptable options for liability insurance:
Insurance purchased in the Bursar's Office is no longer accepted!
Each insurance option has different expiration dates, so please check before purchasing.
Join one of these organizations, and you will automatically get the insurance. But in order for this requirement to be fulfilled, you must email (from your UTC Email) a copy of the receipt with your UTC ID clearly written on top to [email protected] (subject line: "Liability Insurance").
Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 49, Chapter 5, Part 5610 specifies that all students wishing to enter approved teacher training programs in Tennessee shall be required to submit to a criminal history background check.
I. Policy Background
TCA 49-5-5610 requires students wishing to enter an approved teacher training program in Tennessee to:
Agree to the release of all investigative records to the administrator of the teacher training program;
Supply a fingerprint sample and submit to a criminal history records check to be conducted by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation;
Sign an authorization and release form authorizing a qualified Tennessee licensed private investigation company to complete a criminal history records check.
II. Institutional Policy
In order to comply with TCA 49-5-5610, institutions are required to implement policies that address the following:
Before acceptance into an approved teacher training program, students must complete in its entirety and sign a background check authorization form that is provided by the University of Tennessee.
- As part of the admission process to approved teacher education programs, students must supply a fingerprint sample to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and submit to a criminal history records check performed by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.
- Entrance to the teacher training program shall be denied if the student has a past conviction that would trigger automatic revocation of a teaching license, as provided in the Rules of the Tennessee Board of Education (0520-2-4-.01).
Students shall be denied admission to teacher preparation programs if they have been convicted of any of the following criminal offenses (as provided in the Rules of the Tennessee Board of Education 0520-2-4-.01).
- Murder in the first degree
- Murder in the second degree
- Especially aggravated kidnapping
- Aggravated kidnapping
- Especially aggravated robbery
- Aggravated rape
- Aggravated sexual battery
- Rape of a child
- Aggravated child abuse
- Aggravated rape of a child
- Sexual exploitation of a minor involving more than one hundred (100) images
- Aggravated sexual exploitation of a minor involving more than twenty-five (25) images
- Especially aggravated sexual exploitation of a minor
- Manufacture of a controlled substance
- Delivery of a controlled substance
- Sale of a controlled substance
- Possession of a controlled substance with intent to manufacture, deliver, or sell the controlled substance