The SimCenter computing facility includes the following resources:
The cluster called Tennessine or OneSeventeen, consists of 33 compute nodes and a master/login node. The compute nodes are configured as follows:
- Two (dual-socket) Intel Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2.4GHz chips, each with 14 cores for a total of 28 cores per compute server.
- 128 GB of RAM per compute server which means ~4.5 Gb of RAM per core.
- 1 NVidia 16GB P100 GPU with 1792 double precision cores
- Theoretical peak performance of ~1TFLOPs (CPU only) or ~5.7TFLOPs (CPU/GPU)
lookout – 160 core/640 thread (4 node) IBM Power9 (AC9322) cluster
- Dual Power9 20 core/80 thread CPUs (2.4GHz, 3.0 GHz turbo)
- 4 Nvidia Volta GPUs with 16 GB GPU memory; NVLink provides up to 300GB/s of bi-directional bandwidth GPU-GPU and CPU-GPU
- 256 GB RAM
- InfiniBand EDR interconnect (100GbE)
The login node is for compiling codes and launching jobs and is not included in the compute fabric. It is mostly the same as the compute nodes with the notable exception that is does not have a GPU. The login node is configured as follows:
- Two (dual-socket) Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4, 2.2GHz chips, each with 12 cores for a total of 24 cores.
- 128 GB of RAM.
The 'fabric' of the cluster, i.e., how the distributed compute nodes communicate with each other, is EDR InfiniBand which communicates at 100Gb/sec. The peak performance of the cluster as a whole is ~33 TFLOPs (CPU only) or 190TFLOPs (CPU/GPU). The cluster contains a total of 924 CPU cores and 59,136 GPU cores.
Papertape is a slightly older cluster, circa 2010, that contains 40 diskless compute nodes each with the following specifications:
- Dual-socket 8 core Intel Xeon E5-2670 2.6 GHz CPU
- 16 cores per node - 640 cores in total
- FDR InfiniBand interconnect (56Gb/s)
- 32 GB RAM per compute node - 2GB per core
qbert is a 192 core multi-use cluster which comprises 12 compute nodes and a head node configured as follows:
- Two eight-core Intel Xeon E5-2650v2 processors per node
- 32 GB RAM per node
- 10 Gigabit Ethernet interconnect
- 216TB of reconfigurable 10 Gigabit iSCSI storage
- The head node has 256GB of RAM, an NVIDIA K20 and Xeon Phi 5110P coprocessor
Currently, eight of these nodes are configured for HPC whilst the remaining five are set up for hadoop.
cerberus – 32 core compute server (Dell)
- Four 8-core Intel Xeon X7560 2.27 GHz processors
- 256 GB RAM
Highly-available VMware cluster
made up of three Dell R730s, each configured as follows:
- VMware vSphere 6.5
- Two 14-core Intel Xeon E5-2680v4 processors
- 256 GB RAM
- Two-tiered storage subsystem with 20 TB of 7.2K 'capacity' HDDs and 2 TB of write-intensive 'fast' SSDs