Preparing for Advising Sessions
The department of Modern and Classical Languages and Literatures is committed to offering excellent advising to its majors. Students have at least one face-to-face advising session each semester, in which they discuss academic progress, semester schedules, graduation, career aspirations, and other issues that may arise. They will obtain a PIN that will allow them to register. Advisors are also available outside of these sessions through email and in person, though it is important to take care of advising needs before the end of the spring semester as faculty are generally away from campus and unavailable during the summer months.
Students are expected to prepare in advance so that advising appointments can be as effective as possible. They should look carefully over their mymocsdegree page and write down any questions they may have. Also, they should examine the online schedule for the coming semester and write out a possible schedule to discussion with the advisor.
- Advising appointments will run from October 18th through November 21st (students should contact their advisors in early October to reserve a time within this window)
- The spring schedule goes online October 16th (students should study it before their appointments)
- Priority Registration for spring begins on November 6th (students should check their individual registration dates in the Academics tab of their mymocsdegree account and be prepared to register as soon as their time comes)
- Open Registration begins on November 21st
Dr. Karen Casebier ([email protected])
Humanities: International Studies
- Humanities: Liberal Arts
Dr. Carl Springer ([email protected])
*Also see: https://www.utc.edu/humanities/ for more information on the Humanities program!
Dr. Joshua Davies ([email protected])
- Spanish (read through all options carefully)
Freshman – Prof. Hilary Browder ([email protected]) Freshman doing 3000-level Spanish classes – Dr. Carmen Jiménez ([email protected]) Sophomores - Dr. Carmen Jiménez ([email protected]) Juniors and Transfers – Dr. Edwin Murillo ([email protected]) Seniors and Those Minoring in Education – Dr. Lynn Purkey ([email protected])
Advising for Minors
While departmental minors do not have regular advising appointments, help with advising is available as needed. For French, contact Dr. Karen Casebier ([email protected]); for Humanities, Prof. Matthew Stuckwisch ([email protected]); for Latin, Dr. Joshua Davies ([email protected]); and for Spanish, Prof. Hilary Browder ([email protected]).