The philosophy of the Department of Interior Architecture and Design is to successfully prepare students for the practice and advanced study of Interior Design through scholarship and service. We believe in training students to be innovative thinkers and problem-solvers who work to improve quality of life within the built environment, as well as learn the value and responsibility of professional stewardship of environmental, cultural, social and global design. In addition, we value the contributions of faculty and the diverse role that each plays in creating a passion for learning.
The Department of Interior Architecture and Design at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga is committed to professional achievement through teaching, research, and service as well as the development of responsible design professionals who think critically, protect the health, safety and welfare of the public, and create design solutions responsive to varying cultures and contexts.
- Create an innovative and engaging environment that nurtures an interest in students' academic welfare, progress, and retention.
- Promote critical thinking with an emphasis on integrated design and applied research.
- Facilitate effective, collaborative learning environments that support educational, community, and regional development partnerships.
- Prepare students to become socially, ethically, and environmentally responsible professionals.
- Provide students with the graphic and verbal communication skills necessary to contribute to our ever-evolving profession.
- Promote students' global perspective through domestic and international study tours.
- Encourage the acquisition and maintenance of professional development, certifications, and licenses.